Drug & Alcohol Addiction Treatments May Be Tax Deductible

Article Highlights:

  • Potential medical deductions 
  • Medical dependents 
  • Divorced parents 
  • Medical AGI limitations 
A taxpayer is allowed an itemized deduction for medical expenses paid during the taxable year and not compensated by insurance or otherwise for medical care of the taxpayer or the taxpayer’s spouse, dependent, or medical dependent.

Alcoholism and drug addiction are treated as medical ailments for tax purposes. People with addictions often cannot quit on their own; addiction is an illness that requires treatment. Generally, treatment expenses are tax deductible as itemized deduction medical expenses. Possible deductible expenses include the costs of:
  • Doctors 
  • Prescribed medications 
  • Laboratory testing 
  • Psychological services 
  • Treatment programs 
  • Inpatient treatment at a therapeutic center for alcoholism or drug abuse, including meals and lodging furnished as necessary incident to the treatment 
  • Counseling 
  • Behavioral therapies 
To claim these expenses for someone other than the taxpayer, the person must have been the taxpayer’s dependent or spouse either at the time that the medical services were provided or at the time that the expenses were paid.

Medical Dependent – Tax law does include a special provision that allows medical expenses to be deducted for an individual who does not meet all the requirements to qualify as a dependent. A person generally qualifies as a “medical” dependent for purposes of the medical expense itemized deduction if:
  1. That person lived with the taxpayer for the entire year as a member of the household (temporary absence to obtain medical treatment is an exception) OR is related to the person,

  2. That person was a U.S. citizen or resident or a resident of Canada or Mexico for some part of the calendar year in which the tax year began, and

  3. The taxpayer provided over half of that person’s total support for the calendar year.
The medical expenses of any person who meets these qualifications may be included even if he or she cannot be claimed as a dependent on the taxpayer’s return.

Thus, the dependent’s age and income are not limiting factors in determining whether an individual is a dependent for purposes of deducting medical expenses. For example, suppose an adult child has an addiction problem. Even though the child is an adult and generates an income, a parent may still be able to deduct medical expenses that he or she pays for the adult child if the three requirements above are met. The parent must pay the medical service providers directly and not just give the money to the dependent to pay the bills.

In the case of divorced parents, if either parent qualifies to claim a child as a dependent, then each parent can deduct the medical expenses each paid for the child. However, consider the limitations (discussed below) that might preclude any deduction for one of the parents, and plan payments accordingly.

Two situations will prevent a taxpayer from deducting otherwise eligible addiction-related medical expenses. The first is that medical expenses are only allowed as an itemized deduction to the extent that total medical expenses exceed 7.5% of the taxpayer’s AGI. The 7.5% is scheduled to go up to 10% starting in 2021 but is subject to change by Congress. The second hurdle is that if the taxpayer’s standard deduction amount is greater than the total of all allowed itemized deductions, there’s no tax benefit to itemizing, and therefore, no medical expenses would be deductible.

As you can see, these and other tax rules related to medical deductions can become complicated. If you need assistance in planning medical expenditures for maximum tax benefits or determining whether you can deduct certain expenses, please call.

Share this article...

Want tax & accounting tips and insights?

Sign up for our newsletter.

I confirm this is a service inquiry and not an advertising message or solicitation. By clicking “Submit”, I acknowledge and agree to the creation of an account and to the and .
I consent to receive SMS messages

Title: Accounting / Tax Manager 

We are seeking an Accounting/Tax Manager to join our team! You will lead and manage multiple operations of the tax practice area and deliver quality tax services that will increase the firm’s reputation. You will oversee the work of accountants, review financial statements, and prepare reports. Schedule: Monday to Friday. 

Job Type: Full-time. 

Interested parties please call 214-646-0300.  

Duties and Responsibilities: 

  • Manage and Prepare tax returns for over 2,000 individuals, businesses, non-profits and estates 

  • Contact clients to obtain tax documents 

  • Review tax returns with clients 

  • Provide basic tax planning/solutions services to clients 

  • Accounting/Bookkeeping for firm clients in various accounting software (QBO, QBD, Intacct, Xero, Wave, Zoho Books, BQE Core, etc...) 

  • Other administrative tasks when necessary: 

  • Plan and schedule appointments and events 

  • Greet and assist onsite guests 

  • Answer inbound telephone calls 

  • Draft correspondences and other formal documents 

  • Develop and implement organized filing systems 

  • Manage requests from website and social media management company 


  • Tax preparation experience is required 

  • Experience with Lacerte / Drake Tax software is required 

  • QuickBooks experience is required 

  • Previous experience in office administration or other related fields 

  • Ability to prioritize and multitask 

  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills 

  • Strong attention to detail 

  • Strong organizational skills 

  • Must be able to speak Hindi and English 

Education: Bachelor's (Required), CPA (required), Enrolled Agent: Preferred. 

Experience level: 3 years. 


Salary: $75,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year 


  • 401(k) 

  • 401(k) matching 

  • Dental insurance 

  • Disability insurance 

  • Health insurance 

  • Life insurance 

  • Paid time off 

  • Vision insurance 

  • Work from home 


Interested parties please call 214-646-0300.